The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has initiated a new series for vehicle registration, ‘BH,’ to prevent people from the complex and hectic process of re-registration of vehicles when moving to other states.
According to this system, a vehicle displaying BH registration will not require getting a new registration mark in case of moving to another state or union territory.
REASON BEHIND THE INITIATIVE
As many people are working in private or government sector often get relocated to other cities. During such movements, the employees face difficulty indulging in paperwork to transfer the registration from the parent state to another state.
Section 47 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 prohibits people from keeping a vehicle for more than 12 months in any other state than the one where it is registered.
- BH series is accessible to Defence personnel, employees of Central/State Government, Central/State PSUs, and Private sector companies or organizations on a voluntary basis.
- The motor vehicle tax will be levied for two years or in multiple of two.
- The scheme will allow free movement of personal vehicles across the country upon relocation.
- The motor vehicle tax amount to be levied will be cut down to half (on the original tax paid initially) after the completion of fourteen years.
FORMAT OF BH SERIES
- Vehicles will be marked in the following format of BH series during registration:
- YY BH #### XX
- YY – Year of First registration
- BH – Code for Bharat Series
- #### – 0000 to 9999 (randomized)
- XX – Alphabets (AA to ZZ)