Ministry of Tourism formed an inter-ministerial task-force in July 2021 to develop National Digital Tourism mission. Recently, a draft has been prepared to set-up National Digital Tourism Mission. The government has published the draft to collect feedback of the public.
The task-force has given some mandates like:
- Consulting the experts and industrialist engaged with tourism.
- Define the mission, its idea and purpose, and scope.
It has provided with the following suggestions in the draft:
- Principles of the domain and technology to be used.
- The capacity of the governments structure and its standards.
- Plan for the implementation of the NDTM.
CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF THE MISSION DRAFT
- It suggests that there are many challenges in tourism as it is divided in fragments such as accommodation, transport, restaurants etc.
- However, such major integration will bring many job opportunities in these sectors.
- As most of the tourism system, including government and private, work in silos. Thus, the sector is unable to experience the combinatorial benefits of information exchange.
- India being a nation with multiple languages, it hinders the data analytics and policy making.
OBJECTIVE OF NDTM
The National Digital Tourism Mission aims to minimise the gap among the various stakeholders of the industry in terms of the information using the digital highway. It will utilise the power of digitalisation to prepare database and enable the exchange of information and services to strengthen the industry in the country.